Play koto or shamisen and become inspired by their exquisite sounds
Learn authentic Japanese music in New York
I am an active performer based in New York and Japan. From my experience living in both countries, I hope to guide my students to produce the sounds of koto and shamisen that are deeply rooted in the Japanese cultural heritage. I also hope to help my students appreciate one of the core values of Japanese culture, wa – peace and harmony. I offer private lessons at my studio and welcome beginners as well as experienced players.
About the Studio:
Interested? Let’s start with a trial lesson.
Learn a wide variety of repertoire
Getting an instrument
New York Studio:
– Lessons will be scheduled before the beginning of each month.
– I can be flexible if you are interested in taking lessons at your own pace, but three lessons per month is recommended.
– Since I also maintain a performance career, I may not be able to reschedule lessons that are cancelled at the last minute.
– I can teach more frequently if you are seeking to become a professional koto/shamisen musician.
Only during my stay in Japan. Please contact for more details.
Certificates, Experiences, etc
– Teaching certificate in music (high school and junior high school)
– Koto/shamisen adjunct lecturer at the Contemporary Music for Traditional Japanese Instruments Program at Senzoku Gakuen University
– Koto/shamisen adjunct lecturer at the Institute of Contemporary Music for Traditional Japanese Instruments
– Former koto instructor at Kiryu Univerity
– Many experiences teaching and giving workshops at elementary schools, high schools and universities in Japan, US and Europe.
– Taught at the New York Philharmonic’s educational program.